The Surgical RN will be responsible for coordinating total nursing care for patients of all ages using the nursing process including but not limited to; directing patient and family teaching, providing leadership by working cooperatively with ancillary nursing and other patient team personnel in maintaining standards for professional nursing practice in the clinical setting, etc.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing direct patient care for assigned patients of ages including pediatric, adult, and geriatrics, utilizing the nursing process including assessment, planning, intervention, and evaluation.
- Assessing the patient’s condition considering age-specific developmental needs, educational needs of patient family, and discharge planning needs.
- Developing a plan of care for the patient and prescribing appropriate nursing interventions to achieve expected patient outcomes.
- Reporting pertinent observations and reactions regarding patients to the appropriate person (i.e. physicians, Unit Supervisors, and/or Nursing Manager) and recording those observations accurately and concisely.
- Administering medications, IV therapy, and performing treatments for assigned patients as ordered by the physician.
- Assisting physicians with special tests and procedures.
- Consulting anesthesia with any concerns regarding patient’s medical condition or need for further testing.
- Contacting all patients to discuss medical history, giving pre-operative instructions, starting the discharge instruction process, and answering any questions.
- Will be cross-trained to: Pre-Op/Post-Op, PACU, & OR.
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse (RN) in AR.
- Basic first aid knowledge and current CPR certification.
- Effective utilization skills of EMR software.