NEW PATIENT REFERRAL CLERK
Little Rock, AR, Full Time
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The position of New Patient Referral Clerk is responsible for all aspects of new patient scheduling with a healthcare clinic environment
- Responds to new patient inquiries by answering all calls to the New Patient’s line.
- Maintains knowledge of providers’ scheduling preferences and credentialing limitations, services, and the location, schedule, and members of each provider team.
- Reviews referrals assigned by Fax Coordinator in individual file folders, starting from oldest to the most current.
- Calls new patient within three (3) days of receiving a referral, and follows the new patient scheduling script to confirm accuracy of information provided by referring source
- Makes at least 2 attempts to contact patient by phone
- Follows up with self-referrals in a professional and timely manner.
- Promptly returns phone calls to patients, regularly monitors voicemails, and updates the patient’s chart as necessary.
- Regularly monitors messages in EMR and responds
- Documents phone calls within database/EMR system
- Promptly faxes thank you letters to the referring physician after the patient is scheduled, including the appointment date and time.
- Compiles and mails New Patient Packets on a daily basis.
- Processes referral lists from physicians and sends fax updates.
- Processes calls unrelated to new patient scheduling, and transfers the calls as necessary to the appropriate personnel or extension.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND/OR CERTIFICATIONS:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent skills in customer service and communications
- Knowledge of current medical terminology
- Strong telephone communication skills
- High level of attention to detail
- Strong organization, filing, and time management skills
- Basic computer literacy and typing
- Patient focused
- High school diploma or educational equivalent
- One (1) year of prior customer service experience or call center experience is preferred.
- Medical office experience required