- Obtains blood specimens on patients by venipuncture, arterial puncture, skin puncture, and/or heel puncture using established technique and maintaining the integrity of the specimen in relation to the test performed.
- Assesses condition of patient, obtains appropriate assistance, and uses related judgment in selection of suitable phlebotomy site. Provides care of the puncture site.
- Instructs patient in proper collection and preservation of urine samples.
- Adheres to rigid accuracy in using names and numbers for identifying patients.
- Establishes priorities for specimen collection.
- Prepares and maintains trays for specimen procurement.
- Performs any quality control of phlebotomy equipment to ensure proper operation.
- Distributes samples to appropriate testing areas in a timely manner.
Skills, Knowledge, Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Phlebotomy certification preferred.
- Experience in phlebotomy in a hospital setting preferred.