The position of Patient Financial Counselor
is responsible for contacting patients to schedule procedures, communicate out-of-pocket costs, payment requirements and options with patients, and processing patient payments.
- Maintains a comprehensive knowledge of the policies of all insurance carriers, including Medicare and Medicaid.
- Confirm that verification of insurance, prior authorization, and valid insurance referral have been obtained.
- Contact patient to schedule procedure in line with the physician’s scheduling template.
- Work with patients on understanding their out-of-pocket expenses, explaining benefits including co-payments, co-insurance, deductibles, and coordination of benefits. Patients should know what they are expected to pay at the time of service.
- Explain and arrange patient payment plans, alternative financing, and charity programs.
- Process patient payments and correctly update patient accounts and balances.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Comprehensive knowledge of medical and insurance terminology
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent skills in customer service and communications
- Knowledge of current medical terminology to communicate with physician, staff, and patients
- Strong telephone communication skills
- High level of attention to detail
- Strong organization, filing, and time management skills
- Basic computer literacy and typing
- Reliable attendance
- Patient focused
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are expected to include 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Monday through Thursday) and 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (Friday). Occasional overtime may be required.