The Lab Assistant/Phlebotomist coordinates lab processes and manages flow of information. Responsible for drawing blood samples from patients using the proper skills and techniques to obtain sample with minimal discomfort to the patient. Responsible for medical and lab supplies throughout clinic.
- Performs venipuncture and capillary collections on patients with minimal discomfort and using the appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Communicates appropriate information to the clinicians regarding specimen collection.
- Flags specimens for rejection. Dispatches specimens to appropriate testing locations.
- Ensures screening instruments and lab equipment are within parameters of CLIA regulations. Sets up slides for providers to view specimens.
- Washes and sterilizes instruments.
- Orders and maintains phlebotomy supplies.
- Maintains lab records for quality assurance as required.
- Prints insurance labels for lab requisitions from computer system.
- Reviews patient registration information and scheduling according to procedures and reports changes to appropriate person at each location. Carries out clinician orders accurately.
- Assists clinicians in coding using correct ICD-10 and CPT codes for clinic charges.Qualif
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Certification from an accredited medical assisting or phlebotomy program preferred, or the equivalent combination of classroom training and/or work experience.
- Current CPR certification required.
- Knowledge of medical laboratory procedures required.
- The ability to learn practice management and lab software required.
- Previous medical assisting, lab, or phlebotomy work experience in a medical group setting preferred.
- Basic computer proficiency.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and coding, including ICD-9, CPT and HCPCS preferred.
- Knowledge of basic specimen collection, selection, handling and storage activities.
Processing specimens to send to reference labs.
Running QC each morning as required and being sure the results are acceptable before running patient tests.
Running CBC's, pregnancy tests, urinalysis, and glucoses.